Need boss to spawn wall or blockade

DJGameFreakTheIguana

Active member
Thanks to some help I got from Bloodbane a few months back I constructed a different kind of boss for Sonic Revolution. One thing I need though is for the boss to spawn something that stops plays from passing through it. If you check the screenshot, it blocks both sides of stage. Thank you.

x)

[attachment deleted by admin]
 
I'd spawn in two platform entities that are simply too high to jump on. Changing stage properties works, for for this I think it would be too much effort.

DC
 
I agree with making the blockades solid platform entities, especially considering that way we can easily make these attack. Maybe via attaching their attack to them?
 
Damon Caskey said:
I'd spawn in two platform entities that are simply too high to jump on. Changing stage properties works, for for this I think it would be too much effort.
DC
Trying this out now, thanks. Never thought of using them as a wall.

Miru said:
I agree with making the blockades solid platform entities, especially considering that way we can easily make these attack. Maybe via attaching their attack to them?
No need, the entire entity is set at random to attack where each weapon is set. There are 3 other entities that act as multiple BBoxs for it.

EDIT: The platform wall works. Just gotta set one for the other side. Thanks again DC.

x)
 
Dj, you are the master and dean of creative and unconventional bosses. From crushing pipes to flaming walls. Keep up the good work on future bosses you roll out.

I'm thinking future bosses could use stuff like the OpenBOR vector graphics suite, serpentine-entities, and other advanced features.
 
Damon Caskey said:
I'd spawn in two platform entities that are simply too high to jump on. Changing stage properties works, for for this I think it would be too much effort.

DC

Yeah, I got your point, but wall colliding is easier to detect than platform colliding. Plus, some things which are spawn neart platforms can be stucked on it, which doesn't happens with walls.
 
O Ilusionista said:
Damon Caskey said:
I'd spawn in two platform entities that are simply too high to jump on. Changing stage properties works, for for this I think it would be too much effort.

DC

Yeah, I got your point, but wall colliding is easier to detect than platform colliding. Plus, some things which are spawn neart platforms can be stucked on it, which doesn't happens with walls.

To prevent this, script the walls to be killed with the boss.
 
Miru said:
Dj, you are the master and dean of creative and unconventional bosses. From crushing pipes to flaming walls. Keep up the good work on future bosses you roll out.
Thanks but the crushing pipe thing wasn't that creative, BWWD did it with those hand enemies in his BattleToads mod, I just had a more complex way of scripting it, which I needed help with it.

I'm thinking future bosses could use stuff like the OpenBOR vector graphics suite, serpentine-entities, and other advanced features.
Oooo, don't know if I'll go that far, I got enough on my plate without that far into advance modding. We'll see but this isn't my intention at the moment.

O Ilusionista said:
Yeah, I got your point, but wall colliding is easier to detect than platform colliding. Plus, some things which are spawn neart platforms can be stucked on it, which doesn't happens with walls.
I thought about this somewhat but I don't think it'll come to that since I think it depends on what order the spawns are in, and what could potentially get stuck in platforms will be entities that wont be moving at all anyway. If that is the case I may have to come back and ask about this wall script you mentioned, it sounds useful.

x)
 
O Ilusionista said:
You can create two walls outside the screen in the stage code then change their position by script
After doing a test, I am going to have to ask you how this is done, because there's a good chance with the way this boss spawns in, you can get stuck  in those platforms. I can make the walls, I just need to know how to move them with script.

x)
 
I am on my phone, but search for changelevelproperty at the manual.
There is a post here where WhiteDragon explains how to do it (if I am not wrong, he had included this on the engine)
 
Looked it up, found the topic here.
http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=3093.msg42058#msg42058

Also found a thread where someone asked for help on it but never replied.
http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=2064.msg27549#msg27549

I had assumed this was a level script, but it looks like the guy tried to do it via entity.

x)
 
TBH DJ, whatever you'll be using to block players, there IS a chance for player to get stuck so you should think on how to prevent that.
There are two ways I have in mind:
1. Lure players to the center of the level before boss enters
OR
2. Pull players to the middle before spawning the blockade

#1 is great for single player game but not for multiplayer
#2 is good for both but might look odd seeing players being pulled in

Whichever you choose, once you can ensure players not getting stuck, you can block the field with anything. I suggest using platform entities for simplicity :)
Then you can kill those entities after the boss is killed if needed
 
I had an idea of having players getting knocked down towards the center but could never come up with a way how. If I can have something pull players to the center with option #2, would it work during their falling animation? It would look less weird, and when the boss spawns, it drops from the sky, so I can make it look like some sort of shockwave or make the screen quake.

x)
 
It might have something to do with the Collision boxes. Maybe refer to the sequence in Scrap Brain where Robotnik drops players down a hole?

Edit: How many scripts did you assign to these walls?
 
Back
Top Bottom